Chapter 6: Commercial & Agricultural Vehicle Permits

Under certain conditions, commercial vehicle operators may need permits to operate trucks that exceed South Dakota’s vehicle size and weight limits. Permits may be issued for specific size and weight vehicles and combinations, for specific loads, on specific roads, and for specific time periods.

The following permits may be required:

  • temporary trip permits
  • hazardous material permits
  • oversize and overweight permits

All oversize and overweight permits must be purchased before entering the state with the load.