Custom Harvesting Information

Please familiarize yourself with the requirements of the following document if you intend to harvest within the state of South Dakota, or if you intend to travel through South Dakota to another state: 

H2A-Temporary Agricultural Worker
Obtaining a Non-Resident Commercial Driver License

In order to obtain a non-resident commercial driver license (CDL) in the state of South Dakota, you will need to present a passport, visa, and completed driver license application form (application form in English / application form in Spanish) to the driver license examiner.  A social security card is also required, but if you have not yet received a card, you may still be issued a non-resident CDL. You will need to report your social security number to Driver Licensing (1.800.952.3696) within 60 days of the date your driver license is issued or risk cancellation of the license.  If you are subject to CFR Part 391, you will also need to present a valid DOT medical card.  Once you have presented the correct documents, along with the completed driver license application, you may proceed with the written portion of the commercial driver license testing.

Once you have completed and successfully passed the written exam, you will be issued an instruction permit, which allows you to drive with another driver (who already holds the required class of CDL for that vehicle). You will then need to set up an appointment with a certified “third-party tester” to complete the drive/skill portion of the testing.  You may call the Driver Licensing Program at 1.800.952.3696 for assistance in finding a third party tester in your area. 

Upon having successfully passed the drive/skills test, you may return to the driver exam station with the documents listed above, your CDL instruction permit, and the third-party testing certificate to receive your non-resident commercial driver license.

Click here to view the new Hours of Service regulations. 

Click here for the new procedures to obtaining a commercial driver license with a hazardous material (hazmat) endorsement.

Click here to read about the federal registration requirements for anyone entering the interstate trucking business after January 1, 2003.