Interstate 90 Reopened from Spearfish to Rapid City (Tuesday, April 4, 2023 – Update #2)
For Immediate Release:
Tuesday, April 4, 2023
Craig Smith, Director of Operations, 605-773-5155
PIERRE, S.D. – Eastbound and westbound lanes of Interstate 90 from Spearfish to Rapid City (exit 55) will reopen at 2:30 p.m. (MDT) on Tuesday, April 4, 2023.
- Travelers should expect to encounter snow/ice-covered roads.
- Snow removal equipment will be present on the roadway.
- Please use extra caution. Reduce travel speed and do not use cruise control.
The following Interstate closures, previously issued, remain in place:
- Interstate 90 (both eastbound and westbound) from Rapid City (exit 67) to Wall (exit 110).
- Interstate 29 (both northbound and southbound) from Watertown (exit 177) to the North Dakota state line.
Additional closures are expected to be placed on I-90, east of Wall, later today. Conditions are forecasted to continually deteriorate overnight, with travel becoming extremely difficult to impossible.
The combination of heavy snow accumulations and sustained strong winds are causing snow and ice covered roads along with blizzard-like conditions in many areas of South Dakota. These factors will continue to create difficult travel conditions with snow-packed roads and low visibility this evening and through the overnight.
No Travel Advisories have been placed on many secondary highways throughout western, central, and northeast South Dakota due to high winds, blowing snow, and low visibilities associated with this winter storm system.
Motorists should not use secondary highways to avoid Interstate closures. Heavy snowfall amounts, winds, and significantly reduced visibilities will make travel hazardous.
For the latest on road and weather conditions, please visit https://sd511.org or dial 511.